Friday, October 9, 2009

Rare Pre-race post

Tomorrow is the Providence Cyclocross Festival. Way back in 2006 I had one of my best races ever at this venue, taking 5th in the 35+ B field at that year's national championship. I love Providence and always feel a bit more at home in RI so I'm hoping for good things once again. Here's the famous video from lap one of that race, which had 196 starters and most likely signaled the coming of age of amateur cross racing in the US.



That was me in second behind Paul Curley and his disc wheel. It is still amazing to watch that many people go by. 

So for this weekend I'm happy to be racing close to home for the first time in three weeks... just a short 25 minute drive to the venue and that's it. We're going to be trying to go for the full monty with the tailgate arrangements, but parking at Roger Williams park is going to be a bitch, so there may be some lengthy gear haulin' to get things set up properly. Stop in and say hi.

I'm hoping this wheel holds up after tangling with a course stake at Gloucester and winning...


and that my fueling strategy works as well...


6 comments:

Colin R said...

I took that video!

G-ride said...

YOU DID NOT! Really? Dude you were famous before you were famous!

Matt, please tell me you were not eating that cookie, and its some stupid internet photo. I almost had to go throw up. I showed it to my wife and she yelled at me.

Seriously, you crossed a line there. This is a family blog.

G-ride said...

and nary a carbon wheel in sight. ahhh, simpler times...

matt said...

they were real. a friend at work baked them for fun. the worms had no taste at all, just a bit of texture... a little bit like oats or maybe sunflower seeds but no taste.

the kids loved 'em.

G-ride said...

holy crap, my kids would not have gotten NEAR them! Neither would I frankly. That is so wrong. Give me my processed foods any day.

ringcycles said...

I remember that day. I was about 9-10 spots behind you in that video. A lap latter as I was closing the 15 sec gap to Curley, I severly pulled my hamstring on the ridable hill. Fun to be back at the course, but reminds me of all the setbacks in the past two years.