Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vacation Wrap up

That was a great week. There was lots of laughs, a few tears, plenty of micro-brew and a record number of lost fishing lures by yours truly.

Ten of us hiked Mt. Major, and 4 yr old Cory outpaced more than one adult. She delivers some unsolicited love to her big brother at the summit.



Here's the earliest stages of the 2009 IMLP training. Anyone who knows me through triathlon knows I suck at sighting in the open water. Here I'm either practicing that or showing the least efficient way to do the crawl. Thanks goodness that I'll be able to follow that buoy line in the race.


While out riding Friday, I saw that the next town over was having an Old Home Day on Saturday, complete with a pancake breakfast. The flapjacks were delicious, and while dining I was talked into running in the 5k that evening by one of the locals. I made a brick work out of it, and met my brother in law at the start to do the race. My 20:44 was good enough for 22nd overall and a podium spot in my age group. Tommy was just :30 behind, but the tough 40-49 age group meant he'd be 4th in that category. 

The weather was beautiful for the entire week and we spend hours upon hours swimming off the docks. We even managed to get the patriarch of the family out in the water, though it was a bit scary for those of us watching. He had a great time this week with all of his kids and grand kids.

My oldest two sister in laws each had two boys, then the next sister and my wife each had a boy before the first grand daughter was born into the family. She was soon joined by our youngest and here are the two of them fishing in full princess attire.




3 comments:

Matt Simpson said...

Sounds like a great family week. The smiles in the photo's say it all. Congrats on the local 5k podium. Mt.Major is one of our favorites; wild blueberries at the top!

EyeBob said...

Oh, I see. You can't stay at UNH but you can still vacation here? Of course, I love when you vacation in my State. Buy lots of stuff while you're here whilst you're at it. Oh, and pay lots of tolls.

BT

matt said...

Hah! UNH! I was waaaay out of my league up there. Too much for an 18 yr old kid with no self discipline and an affinity for cheap tequila. Had I stayed there and survived, I wouldn't have the cash to vacation in NH or for a computer to write a blog.